Wednesday 11 July 2012

Durian!!! My favourite!!! :-)

It's durian season once again and I've been stuffing my face with lots and lots of durian of late!


Durian flower


Prices are relatively high now as it's still early in the season. Prices should taper down a bit in due course when supply increases (law of supply and demand) and that's where you get a bang for your buck! Yummy in my tummy!

Grow on trees and drop when ripe. Thudddddd! That's music to the ears!

My favourite variants are XO and D24 as these are value for money at about RM10-12 per kg and they taste creamy and bitter. I prefer my durian bitter than sweet...actually the more bitter the better!

I've recently decided to try Musang King or Mau San Wong as the Chinese would fondly call it. I've been put off by its high price of circa RM30-35 per kg but what the heck! No harm trying, right?

So I came, I saw, I ate....and I loved it! It's worth every cent paid! I now understand why people are crazy over this variant- big and bold flavours of bitterness with a tinge of sweetness, creamy and with great texture (ever so pleasing in the mouth and on your tastebuds)...the after taste of each bite seems to linger profoundly at the back of your throat! In wine terminology, it has "long notes"! I'm starting to crave for Musang King just reading my description of its taste! :-)

Musang King or Mau San Wong

After my first encounter with the (in)famous Musang King, I long to have it daily! Wifey thinks I'm mad!

"I'm off to buy some Musang King for dessert."

"Again??!! They are expensive plus you just had it!"

"Well, Sonny loves it..." (a damn convenient excuse!)
My good friends such as FatBoyBakes and TCH have also treated me to the (in)famous Musang King. Thanks so much, guys! Appreciate your kind gesture!

I find that durian is a superfood as it has many benefits...

1. Rich in energy, minerals and vitamins;
2. Contains simple sugars like fructose and sucrose;
3. Contains simple fats that when eaten replenishes energy and revitalizes the body instantly;
4. Cholesterol free;
5. Rich in dietary fiber;
6. Rich in antioxidants;
7. Contains many B-complex groups of vitamins (a rare feature among fruits)- niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), pyridoxine (vitamin B-6) and thiamin (vitamin B-1);
8. Contains good amount of minerals like manganese, copper, iron and magnesium;
9. Rich source of potassium; and
10. Contains high levels of essential amino acid.


Nutrition value of durian
This wonderful/miracle fruit contains a relatively high amount of fats among fruits, so you need to watch your portion. Who am I kidding? Can control meh when it comes to whacking durian? Honestly, it's an ordeal lor...(paiseh only!)

It's great to have this as part of your diet during bulking phase but not so during cutting phase. Honestly, best to stay away during cutting phase.

I too need to watch my durian intake, otherwise my training sessions would be jeopardised. If not, soon I may have to change my nick from "Flab2Fab" to "Flab2Fat" (reminisce of my blunder email add over the weekend!) and my blog from "MrFlabbyLess.blogspot" to "MrFlabbyNess.blogspot"! Ouch!

No comments:

Post a Comment