I'm now hooked on "cili padi" (bird's eye chilli) from Bangladesh, which I can easily get from a nearby store.
I'm lucky as the heat from chillies and spicy food has many health benefits. It's like having your cake and eat it...only better cos it promotes health and doesn't get you fat! :-)
Health benefits of eating chillies and/or spicy food are summarised below:-
1. Increases metabolic rate and has thermogenic effect
2. Lowers incidence of heart attack and stroke
3. Prevents cancer
4. Lowers blood pressure and improves cardiovascular system
5. Eases depression and stress
6. Lowers body temperature and has cooling effect
7. Improves digestion
8. Eases the discomfort of cold and flu
9. Improves breathing
10. Reduces joint inflammation and bone destruction
I enjoy a dose of "cili padi" at meal time as it improves the taste of my meal by giving me the extra "kick" (no offense to the cook ya, it's afterall a matter of habit and preference and nothing personal). The benefits provided above are pluses IMHO.
What are you waiting for? Quickly go get yourself a stash of "cili padi"! Time to feel the heat, baby!