Wednesday 21 August 2013

Whey protein


Whey protein plays an important role in my daily diet. Don't get me wrong, it is not used to replace my main meals. Instead, I use it between my main meals and before I hit the gym. On workout days, I would have whey protein shake at 11am, 4pm and before my workout session at about 7pm. I only consume twice on non-workout days, i.e. at 11am and at 5pm.


Whey protein is high quality, natural protein that is rich with amino acids and is important as it helps to restore protein in your muscles. When you workout, protein in your body depletes and whey protein provides the requisite amino acids to prevent muscle deterioration. On non-workout days, whey protein helps to build mass and repair your muscle tissues to promote muscle growth.
 

Other benefits/uses of whey protein are as follows:-
1. Strengthens immune system
2. Promotes bone health and overall well being
3. Used to speed up healing of wounds or burns
4. Used in weight management diets
 
 
An interesting point to note is that although protein is also found in other foods such as meat, soy and vegetables, whey protein is proven to have the highest absorption (digestion) levels compared to these alternative foods. 

As a word of caution, although whey protein is a natural food, too much of it carries risks. Extremely high use of whey protein can overload the liver which can cause serious problems. Moderation is always recommended. 




No comments:

Post a Comment