Monday 5 November 2012

StrongLifts 5x5


During the period when I was nursing my shoulder injury, I used my spare time to surf for information on many subject matters and I came across a training programme called the StrongLifts 5x5 by "The New Muscles From Brussels", a chap called Mehdi Hadim.

Squat, bench press and deadlift

Barbell row

Overhead press

StrongLifts 5x5 is a programme that focuses on 5 types of compound movements (squat, bench press, barbell row, overhead press and deadlift) with incremental increase in weight at every workout session (increments of 2.5kg for squat, bench press, barbell row and overhead press, and increments of 5kg for deadlift) over a period of time. The concept is very simple, i.e. focus on large muscle groups to increase strength, build muscles and burn fat. This means the heavier you lift (as you make progress in the training programme), the stronger you become and that will lead to bigger muscles, which will then result in your body burning more fat.

This training programme involves only 3 days of training per week (shocking eh but yeah only 3 days and each training session lasts approximately 45 mins max) and you'll always alternate between the same 2 workouts:-

StrongLifts 5x5 Workout A- Squat, Bench Press & Barbell Row
StrongLifts 5x5 Workout B- Squat, Overhead Press & Deadlift

Note: All movements are 5x5, save for deadlift which is 1x5

For more details, please visit the StrongLifts 5x5 website. Sign-up is free. Once you've signed up, they'll email the StrongLifts 5x5 Report and training programme (in both kg and lbs) to you for free.

Personally, StrongLifts 5x5 is timely and ideal for me. As I couldn't jump right into my usual training programme after staying away from the gym for about a month or so, StrongLifts 5x5 is perfect as I'm able to ease myself back into lifting heavy weights over time and help my weakened left shoulder gain strength in the process. I like the fact that the programme starts out really light (Olympic barbell light!) and resistance is increased over time.

I've just completed 12 weeks of StrongLifts 5x5 and it feels great! I'm stronger both physically and mentally and my muscles are now more dense, visibly thicker and more rounded. Over the course of 12 weeks, my body weight increased from 90kg to 97kg. Excellent! :-)

That's me! :-P

I find that StrongLifts 5x5 is a great training programme to bulk up. I would use it again (most likely in modified form and NOT starting with an empty Olympic barbell) in my next bulk up stage in a few months' time. But for now, I'm taking a much needed 1-2 weeks break (your body can't be under constant stress forever and R&R does help the body recover better and you'll return to the gym even stronger) before I proceed with cutting. Can't wait for to show off the definition! :-P



No comments:

Post a Comment