Thursday 21 March 2013

Medium rare steak

Typical of any hot blooded man (gym-goers and body builders included), I love having steaks. I'm not picky when it comes to the cut of the meat but my steak has to be medium rare. I just can't stand overcooked steaks (no flavour and too much chewing! yucks!). And how do I enjoy my medium rare steak? With a robust bottle of red of course! :-P


I used to frequent steak houses for my doze of steak but since the arrival of Sonny and Girlie, Wifey and I have decided it would be more convenient to just dine at home (it's less stressful too! *guffaw*). As such, I've been cooking my own steaks for some time now.

Initially, I was worried and of course I got it wrong a few times (I'm only human). But after a few attempts, I can now declare that cooking steaks is not difficult. 


After you've marinated your steaks with black pepper and sea salt, remove them from your fridge about an hour before cooking them. It's important to always cook your steaks when they are at room temperature. They'll cook unevenly if you toss them straight into the pan from the fridge. The pan has to be hot and searing as you want to quickly cook the outer layer of the steaks and seal the juices inside. For medium rare, all it takes is 3 minutes a side (for 1-inch thick steaks). Once the steaks are ready, set them aside to rest for up to 10 minutes before serving so that the juices settle down. And the end result? Your steaks will have a nice brown crust on the outside and pink flesh on the inside....YUM!



To sum it all up, the golden rules of cooking medium rare steaks are as follows:-

1. Room temperature steaks before cooking
2. Hot searing pan
3. 3 minutes on each side
4. 5-10 minutes of resting period before serving

Some personal pics below to share...


Property of Mr Flabby Less
My marinated steaks at room temperature (ribeye on the left and sirloin on the right)

Property of Mr Flabby Less
My sirloin in hot searing pan

Property of Mr Flabby Less
Flip the sirloin over at the 3 minutes mark to reveal the beautiful brown crust


Property of Mr Flabby Less
My resting sirloin and ribeye

Property of Mr Flabby Less
Deglaze the pan with red wine, throw in some rosemary

Property of Mr Flabby Less
Enjoying my medium rare steaks with red wine and rosemary sauce


No comments:

Post a Comment