Sunday 23 March 2014

Benefits of red wine


All my friends know I love wine, especially red wine (actually that's a cover-up...I love all types of alcohol!!!). I enjoy drinking red wine as I get to experience many interesting tastes and flavours in my mouth every time I take a sip of wine.


Drinking red wine has many benefits (I always use this as a convenient excuse, guffaw!):-

1. increases levels of beneficial bacteria in your intestines and lower levels of pathogenic bad bacteria in your intestines for improved digestion, immunity, metabolism, skin health etc;
2. decreases systolic and diastolic blood pressure, triglycerides, LDL cholesterol, and CRP (C-reactive protein);
3. contains antioxidants, polyphenols and resveratrol that reduce inflammationin your body; and
4. moderates blood sugar response from your meals thus keeps your hormones balanced, controls insulin levels, controls appetite and enables you to stay lean.


It is interesting to note that white wine also has some health benefits but not nearly as powerful as red wine due to the lower antioxidant levels.


As parting words, I recommend drinking red wine in moderation, i.e. 1 to 2 glasses per day max (and not 1 to 2 bottles per person per day) to reap the benefits as shared above. 


Cheers and let's drink to a better health! :-P



No comments:

Post a Comment